Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Feb 2024 17:00:22 GMT by
Hi, I am an Italian citizen, living and working in the UK since 2013. In 2023 I've decided to stay with my family abroad for some time while working for my employer remotely. Took a flight in September and stopped paying rent and council tax the same day. I have then decided to not go back to UK and in November I've changed my residential residency to an Italian address. In the meanwhile I still worked for my UK employer until the last day of December, when I resigned. End of January I received my P45 and now I am going to fill the P85 form. What date should I put in "Date you left the UK", please? Thank you!
Posted Thu, 15 Feb 2024 06:57:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi italian_user_24,
If you left the UK September 2023 then that would be the date you would enter. 
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:24:19 GMT by
Thanks. One more question (please let me know if I should open another thread): This is super confusing, I don't understand why questions are not put in clear way with examples: "Your employment status Have you started, or do you plan to start, a job outside the UK?" What are we asking about here? The info you need is if I still worked for a UK company after I left, as I did? Or from now on, the moment I am filling the P85 form? Because not everyone leaves the UK after quitting their job and having a P45 ready. And yes now I am working for a company here but I'm sure you don't care about it because I am not a UK citizen and I am not going to pay any tax to the UK government with this job in my country? I tried to call the number but after 45 minutes waiting time and the line dropping I gave up...not to mention the automated voice that cannot even understand what I'm saying. Can you please help? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:55:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Anyone who leaves the UK is asked to complete a P85, so that our records are up to date. We also ask you to complete a P85, even if  you continue to be employed by a UK employer, when resident outside of the UK. This can be done online here:

Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK (P85)

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:45:36 GMT by
Hi, I've found the answer elsewhere, after the 3rd time I waited 45 minutes on the phone just to see my call being dropped. Just for the record, I am *not* working for a UK employer outside the UK so this answer is not correct as it's not what I asked. For others reading this: it seems they also want to know if you are working for a *non UK* employer, outside the UK and as a *not* UK citizen, not sure why but apparently it is what it is. Thanks.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.