Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:51:34 GMT by Jack Tam
I would like to selfemploy at Uber eats as a food delivery driver, I have a few questions about tax This is some of my background information: I am a uni student that has never worked before, i have no other income. (maybe just a little bit of interest from fixed deposits) This is by no meals a full time job, maybe around 2 hours a week, might fluctuate a lot My parents are uk nationals so Im also a uk national with uk national passport (so i dont have any restrictions on working in uk) But im born outside of uk and only came back to uk for university (so my parents are paying international fee) i didnt get a student loan so i dont have to pay anything for student finance So for my earnings, Up to how much tax free? 12750 per year? Where do I register to pay tax? If under 12750 income do i have to register at all? I have to register before when? When do i pay tax? Is it once a year? Do i have to pay national insurance? If yes, how? I see that i can deduct expenses. Is the 45p 1 mile fixed? Miles: Does it include coming back to city center after youve delivered to a house outside of the city? Do I have to keep receipts of every expense? Is Photos ok? Or is original copy needed? How do i pay tax? By card? On a website? Thank you!!🙏🙏
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:48:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi matthew hui.
Please refer to guidance here:
Set up as self-employed (a 'sole trader'): step by step
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 12:27:40 GMT by Jack Tam
When registering for a tax account, I came across this question, if in my case, am I purely self employed or "You're a partner in a business partnership"? Thank you
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 12:29:40 GMT by Jack Tam
Also I read your link but I understand once my income is above £1000, I have to register. However I still don't really understand , when's the deadline(cut off date) for this £1000? Thank you
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 12:32:10 GMT by Jack Tam
Also does the £1000 include any interest I get from my savings accounts? Thank you
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:17:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You must register by 5 Otober after the end of the tax year in which the income arose, for income from 2023 to 2024 this would be 5 October 2024. This is to avoid any penalties, and, or surcharges being imposed for late notification.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:53:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you are a sole trader then self employed if you are a partner in a business partnership then you need to register as a partner using the form SA401. 

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 18:52:55 GMT by Jack Tam
when registering for Self Assessment, I came across this question 1. Why do you need to send a Self Assessment tax return? You're self-employed (for example, a sole trader) You're a partner in a business partnership For another reason (for example, you have income from a pension or a property) -I'm selfemployed for uber eats, i just go online whenever i want. which option should i choose? thank you
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:34:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jack Tam,
Please select self employed. 
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 18:55:51 GMT by Jack Tam
hi, i created a account in hmrc. it says You have not added a tax to your "business tax account" then i press "add a tax,duty or scheme now" then i clicked "Self Assessment for individuals, sole traders, partnerships or trusts, or Making Tax Digital for Income Tax" then "individual or sole trader" but then it says "Tell us the tax or taxes you want to register the business for You can also use this service to tell us your company is now active for Corporation Tax purposes. Your business will be automatically enrolled for the online services associated with these taxes unless you are acting as an agent. Help about: Agent Information - opens in a new window" i'm confused why does it says registering "business" and "your company" when i'm not making a company? or does the "company/business" in this case simply mean me as an individual? or did i do anything wrong when clicking the things? thank you
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 14:22:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

It would appear that you have registered for a business account and not a personal account. Business accounts would be used to submit a Corporation Tax return, for example, from a limited company or partnership.  

For self employment, partnership, you need to register for a personal account:

Personal tax account: sign in or set up

You can submit a personal tax return for employment, self employment, partnerships from the personal tax account.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 06 May 2024 20:45:49 GMT by Jack Tam
Thank you for your reply I have now registered for a personal tax account. but im confused where can i add i am self employed at the personal tax account? according to ; it says "To register, you’ll need to sign into your tax account and select ‘Add a tax to your account to get online access to a tax, duty or scheme’". But after i logged into my personal tax account, i cant see where can i click "‘Add a tax to your account to get online access to a tax, duty or scheme’" ? please advise where can i add i am self employed to my personal tax account. thank you
Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 13:02:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You should be able to add Self Assessment filing to your personal tax account through the link here:

File your Self Assessment tax return online

If you still cannot see the option to file your Self Assessment return after this,  please contact our online services team for advice.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.