Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 18:26:15 GMT by Anita Jagroop-Dearing
PTM112010 states 'Certain tax charges known as the member payment charges can apply for 10 full tax years following the tax year in which the member left the UK". It doesn't say it will apply only it can apply, but doesn't list when it will apply. If I left my USS pension in the UK I could take a 25% lump sum tax-free. However, I completed the transfer to a NZ QROPS over 5 years ago and have been a NZ (and only NZ) tax resident for 7 years and am turning 55. The purpose of the QROPS rules was to make the conditions the same as UK pension. Therefore I believe I can take a 25% lump sum tax-free . Do you agree?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2024 12:36:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Please refer to additional guidance at International: UK tax charges on non UK schemes: the member payment charges and taxable property charges
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2024 15:23:59 GMT by Anita Jagroop-Dearing
Hi MMRC Admin 10, sorry but the additional guidance is very complicated. Instead of referring me to a list of complex rules, many of which don't seem related to my original question, can you please just answer my original question? Currently it sounds like you also can't work out if I'm taxed in the scenario I am in. If that is true can you please find someone at HMRC who can answer the question?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2024 11:17:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

For an answer to a detailed question of this nature, you would need to contact our self assessment team below, or seek professional advice. 

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.