Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 10:52:22 GMT by bookieb
Hi! I have what I hope is a simple query which your guide - https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/pensions-tax-manual/ptm133810 - doesn't exactly deal with. My scenario is fairly straightforward in that I have a defined contribution pension pot of around 700k. For the past 7 years, through my employer and my contributions, I have maximised at the annual allowance of 40k. In the last financial year, the allowance rose to 60k (my salary is around 100k) and I raised my contributions to that and will do the same until 59 when I retire. However, I plan to buy a house (currently renting) this year and intended to withdraw a 25% tax free lump sum to put towards the mortgage. My question is whether I would breach the pension recycling rules. I don't believe I would as my contribution behaviour shows I've maximised payments every year for at least 7 years to the annual allowance as part of retirement planning. Looking at your article, it talks about 2 key areas: a) "the cumulative amount of the additional contributions exceeds 30% of the pension commencement lump sum." >>this is not hit as my contributions have and always will be the annual allowance limit until 59 b) "because of the lump sum, the amount of contributions paid into a registered pension scheme in respect of the individual is significantly greater than it otherwise would be." >>this is not applicable since my contributions in the last 7 years have been the annual allowance limit of 40k (60k from 2023-24). In summary, I'm sure I'm not hitting any obvious recycling rule. Can this please be confirmed or a further example placed in your article, dealing with my scenario? Thanks, J.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:08:31 GMT by bookieb
Hi team, Am I able to get a response as your guidance as per the referenced links are ambiguous? Otherwise, is there a number/option I can call for further clarification? Thanks
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:17:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi bookieb,
Sorry, HMRC cannot comment on this on the forum as more personal details would need to be looked at.
You will need to contact HMRC direct on 0300 200 3310 for this to be reviewed.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:06:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

As we can only give general guidance in this forum, you will need to contact our Self Assessment team for a more definitive response.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.