Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jul 2024 09:04:29 GMT by Kevin Edwards
Trying to find how to apply for a Letter of confirmation of Tax Residence ,,,a certificate is not required . Own a holiday home in Cyprus and the Cypriot probate system requires Letter of confirmation of Tax Residence for my late wife. (uk tax resident) There seems lots of information on how to obtain a Certificate but cant see how to apply for a "simple" Letter
Posted Tue, 09 Jul 2024 14:29:47 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
How to got Letter of Confirmation of Fiscal Residence in accordance with article 4 of the DTA with Norway Attest from HMRC I lived and worked in the UK and I was a tax resident in the UK iaw DTA but my country of citizenship Norway requires the HMRC Certificate of residence with article 4 of the DTA with Norway in order not to tax me on my UK income. I have got an Letter of Confirmation of Residence From 1. Januar 2015 til 1 April 2019 was a residence of the UK for tax purpose
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2024 08:39:53 GMT by Kevin Edwards
Thank you , but my question is How do you apply for a Letter of Residence .
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2024 08:45:29 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
Attest to Norwegian Tax Administration I need my letter of confirmation of residence - who show I was UK tax resident instead in the period 2015- April 2019 to be updated with text: Was taxed as a resident of the United Kingdom for income 2015-2019 accordance to article 4 paragraph 1 of the tax convention between Norway and the United Kingdom
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2024 12:39:01 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
Applied via https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/PT_CertOfRes ref.,KMM77670477V87193L0KM Re Issue - Letter of Confirmation of Residence refer to the tax treaty with Norway THIS IS NOT A CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE FOR THE PURPOSE OF CLAIMING BENEFITS UNDER ANY DOUBLE TAXATION AGREEMENT WITH THE UNITED KINGDOM
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2024 12:55:45 GMT by Kevin Edwards
I found the ANSWER,,, You must apply for a Certificate and the HMRC make the decision based on the application as to whether a “certificate” or a “letter” can be issued. eg ) if no foreign income is declared then a “letter “ is issued Guidance can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-a-certificate-of-residence#how-to-apply An online application can be made here: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/PT_CertOfRes
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2024 13:55:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi ,

They are one and the same. 

Where a foreign income is declare on a certificate of residence request and the criteria is met, we issue what we call a certificate of residence,

however, the certificate we issue, states that it is "Certificate of UK fiscal residence".

Thank you .
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 10:01:39 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
Hi How do I contact CSTD Business, Assets & International Base Protection Policy team. STANDARD Replay : As a result of application INTM162140 - UK residents with foreign income or gains: certificates of residence: letter of confirmation - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) If a customer requires a letter of confirmation, the Officer will not need to check whether the customer fulfils the conditions of any DTA. They will only need to check that they can verify the statements which they are being asked to make. The standard form of words to use with a letter of confirmation should be as follows: For individuals and companies THIS IS NOT A CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE FOR THE PURPOSE OF CLAIMING BENEFITS UNDER ANY DOUBLE TAXATION AGREEMENT WITH THE UNITED KINGDOM I confirm that to the best of HM Revenue & Customs’ knowledge and belief [name & address/registered office of customer] as at [date] is a resident of the UK for tax purposes. Date Office stamp……………………………………….Name and signature of officer The wording in the main body of the letters above can be tailored to meet the specific requirements of the customer but the Officer must check that any statements they do make are, to the best of their knowledge, correct. To help ensure consistency (particularly with regards to issuing letters for the purpose of claiming benefits under certain EU Directives and domestic laws), any request to amend the form of words as above should however be referred to CSTD Business, Assets & International Base Protection Policy team.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 11:29:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The following guidance also covers the letter of confirmation too.

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 13:46:57 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
Hi I found some info on HMRC web side Any request to amend the form of words as above should however be referred to CSTD Business, Assets & International Base Protection Policy team. Norway tax administration request The confirmation must be original, state the time period for which it applies, and refer to the tax treaty with Norway Only wording missing - refer to the tax treaty with Norway Article 4 no 1
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 13:51:34 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
Hi I found some info on HMRC web side Any request to amend the form of words as above should however be referred to CSTD Business, Assets & International Base Protection Policy team. Norway tax administration request The confirmation must be original, state the time period for which it applies, and refer to the tax treaty with Norway Only wording missing - refer to the tax treaty with Norway Article 4 no 1
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 13:55:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Kevin,
Please refer to:
This covers a letter of confirmation too.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 14:36:50 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
The wording in the main body of the letters above can be tailored to meet the specific requirements of the customer but the Officer must check that any statements they do make are, to the best of their knowledge, correct. To help ensure consistency (particularly with regards to issuing letters for the purpose of claiming benefits under certain EU Directives and domestic laws), any request to amend the form of words as above should however be referred to CSTD Business, Assets & International Base
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 16:43:21 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
Hi I understand How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad This covers a letter of confirmation too and I have got 3 My issue The wording in the main body of the letters above can be tailored to meet the specific requirements of the customer How can I an updated one .. Do I need to write to HM Revenue & Customs Business Assets & International Base Protection Policy Team S1715, Floor 9, Mail Point 3 Central Mail Unit Newcastle NE98 1ZZ.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 08:24:38 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
If a customer requires a letter of confirmation it Can be tailored to meet the specific requirements of the customer How and who do it
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 12:10:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Einar Arne LOMAHA,
Please refer to:
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 12:29:14 GMT by Kevin Edwards
thanks... my orginal query has been kindly answered ,and I received the letter of confirmation today ( 7 days after completing the online form).. many thanks ps.. there appears a number of posts that have jumped on this thread that are off my orginal request,,, probably best for people to start their own topic/post
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 13:03:34 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
My Qurry - how to Amendment of an standard Letter of Confirmation of Residence add wording - iaw to Article 4 paragraph 1 to the Tax Convention between Norway and United kingdom Due to an demand from the Norwegian tax authorities: The Letter of Confirmation of Residence confirmation must be original, state the period of time for which it applies, and refer to the tax treaty with Norway.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 15:29:42 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
Hi Kevin Edwards - Did your Letter of Confirmation of Residence had any reference to tax treaty ???
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 06:54:54 GMT by Einar Arne LOMAHAUG
Hi Kevin My Letter of Confirmation of Residence had NO reference to tax treaty -

You must be signed in to post in this forum.