Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 13:54:47 GMT by
Dear HMRC Community Center, I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek guidance and clarification regarding a financial matter that involves my recent inheritance and its potential tax implications. I was born in Iran and currently hold a UK visa with refugee status valid until 2027. Approximately one year ago, I inherited properties in Iran with an estimated total value of £300,000. I want to sell these properties and invest the proceeds in property in the UK. To provide context, the inheritance tax for these properties has already been paid in Iran, and I have all the necessary legal documents confirming the inheritance. Given this situation, I have several questions: What specific documents will I need to provide when transferring the proceeds from the sale of these properties to the UK? Are there any tax obligations or liabilities in the UK that I need to be aware of when receiving this inheritance money? Due to sanctions on Iran, I must use FCA regulated money transfer agencies for this transaction. These agencies have informed me that they can provide a letter confirming the source of the funds. Will this documentation be sufficient for tax and legal purposes? I greatly appreciate your assistance in clarifying these matters. Your guidance will help me ensure that I am in compliance with all relevant tax regulations and requirements in the UK. Please let me know if there are any additional details or documents that I should be aware of or provide. Thank you for your time and support. I look forward to your response. Sincerely,
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:38:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Amir Ali,
1. You may wish to call our Inheritance Tax helpline re: any possible UK Inheritance Tax implications :
Inheritance Tax: general enquiries                                                    
2. As regards the sale of the inherited properties, as a UK resident you are potentially liable to Capital Gains Tax.
Please refer to the following guidance:
Tax when you sell property                                                                          
3.  There are no Income Tax implications re: the transfer of funds from Iran to the UK, and you are not required to provide HMRC with any supporting documentation.      
Thank you.        

You must be signed in to post in this forum.