Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 13:05:53 GMT by
Hi, I am looking for some much needed help regarding double taxation between UK and Malaysia. Here is my scenario: - Remote worker paid via PAYE in the UK - Applying for digital nomad visa in Malaysia - Will be living in Malaysia for the full tax year so will be liable to tax there My questions are: When can I claim via the Double Taxation Agreement, to ensure I'm not paying tax twice? Would it be before I leave the UK, even though I cannot prove I'm paying tax in Malaysia? Would it that I just pay the UK tax for the first 182 days, and then would essentially switch over to the Malaysia tax?
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 06:29:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sam Richardson,
You cannot apply until you have actually left the UK and the tax you pay is dependant on your residence status.
Please see guidance here: 
RDR3 Statutory Residence Test
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:10:20 GMT by
Thanks. So I will be a Non Tax Residend in the UK as I'll be working for the full year (with 0 days working in the UK) over that tax year. Do you have any clear advice, on who I'll pay tax to, and when? Will I pay tax in the UK to begin with, and then after 183 days be able to claim that tax back, before then paying the full years worth of tax in Malaysia?
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:28:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
When you leave the UK and move to Malaysia, please complete form P85 and request the issue of an NT code (on the grounds  that you will be performing 100% of your duties in Malaysia for a full tax year).                                            
Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK (P85)

You must be signed in to post in this forum.