Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2024 12:55:58 GMT by Pongo
Dear Admin, Hope you are well. I am a UK Tax resident and moved to the UK from 2021 by BN(O) Visa. I am employed in the UK and my employer report my income to HMRC by PAYE. There's some unexpected expense before, but unfortunately I don't have any UK credit card, therefore I paid by my overseas (Hong Kong) credit card about £4000. Because I don't have enough cash flow (I have spent a lot for my home and my family), it's hard for me to clear the whole statement within a short period. I have my regular monthly expense by direct debit. I checked the online banking from my overseas credit card. They could offer cash instalments from the credit card to ease my expense . I guess they might transfer the amount to my overseas bank account and I could use this amount to clear that overseas credit card statement (If i decide to apply). Then I need to repay the cash instalments to the overseas credit card by monthly. I will pay or transfer the instalments by my UK income. But I am not sure if there's any taxes are involved and should I need to report to HMRC for this circumstance. Therefor I am writing to ask your advice before apply. Sorry it might be a little bit complicated and thanks for your help. Best Regards, Pongo
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2024 09:05:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Pongo,
We can only give general advice in this forum.
There is no Income Tax implication around your proposal, but there could be a capital gain implication.
Foreign currency is considered an asset and can give rise to a chargeable gain or an allowable loss.
This could be the case in your situation.
Please have a look here:
CG78300 - Foreign currency: introduction
Onwards.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2024 18:03:11 GMT by Pongo
Dear admin, Understand and thanks for your advice. Best Regards, Pongo

You must be signed in to post in this forum.