Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 22:02:16 GMT by
Hi HMRC team I am NOT a UK citizen. I am a Hong Kong citizen. In 2023 to 2024 tax year, I worked in the UK from April 2023 to 1st January 2024, then I have left the UK. (Thus, I was regarded as 'UK resident' for income tax for 2023 to 2024) I will take up a part-time job in Hong Kong from March 2024 to July 2024. I would pay tax to Hong Kong for the above period of time. I know there is tax agreement between the UK and Hong Kong such that after paying tax to Hong Kong government, but I am NOT sure if I need to pay tax to the UK government in this condition. May I ask - Do I need to declare the income earned in Hong Kong from 1st March 2024 to 5th Apr 2024, to the UK government, for year 2023 to 2024? (Even though I would have paid tax to Hong Kong government) If yes, do I need to pay tax to the UK government for the amount I have earned in Hong Kong and have paid tax to Hong Kong government? Thank you very much.
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 06:33:53 GMT by
Hi HMRC team, May I have a reply? Thanks
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:42:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year. You can see guidance here:

RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment

If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK. You can see information here:

Tax on foreign income

The following guidance will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 

RDRM12150 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Case 4: Starting to have a home in the UK only

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.