Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 19:38:34 GMT by samantha.michelle
Hi, I recently moved jobs (March 24) and had my tax code changed from the standard rate to higher ones twice since then. 1 was because I owed tax from a previous tax year, 2nd was because I under paid £16 tax this current tax year in my new job. I recently received a letter from HMRC to say I owed them a lump sum and was fortunate in the position to pay it back in one go rather than have it taken from my wage. I paid this on the 6th of August. I’ve had two pays from my current job so far (fortnightly pay) and both payslips still indicate I am still on the higher bracket and paying a higher rate of tax (which I assume is to pay back the money I have already paid back) Will my tax code go back to normal or will I continue to pay the higher rate of tax until the next tax year when I will no doubt then be owed a refund from HMRC because I’m over paying tax? Thank you
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 07:57:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Samantha,
We will need to check your tax records to ensure the payment has been received and review your tax code for the current tax year to make sure you are not overpaying tax. Income Tax: general enquiries.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.