Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 13:52:52 GMT by tonynsabine Sabine
Hi I plan to arrive in the UK in end Sep for a new Employer. Being a non resident in the current Tax year 2024 my Employer mentioned my Tax code 1257L and suggested me to reach out to HMRC for Tax refund If being a non resident in the current tax year. Kindly advise how do I claim the Income Tax relief from HMRC ? Basis https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/y/pay-from-a-job/on-or-after-6-april-2024/current-job It states the following - " If you’re due a refund and your tax code has been corrected, your employer will give you a refund in your pay. You should get the refund in your next pay once HMRC has sent your employer your new tax code." May I confirm the only channel is to access my personal Tax account online / the HMRC App to update the Tax code alongside employment details then HMRC will inform the Employer for the current Tax year relief ? Regards John.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2024 06:33:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi tonynsabine Sabine,
As this will be your first employment, you should advise your employer that you will need to complete a 'starter checklist', as you do not have a P45. Starter checklist for PAYE
You will need to obtain a National Insurance number, which you can do here:
Apply for a National Insurance number
This will allow a cumulative tax code of 1257L to be applied against your employment income, which will backdate your personal allowances to the start of the tax year, so that you should have paid the correct amount of tax by the end of the tax year.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.