Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 22:23:18 GMT by
I am an old man who used to work as a junior civil servant in Hong Kong, a British colony. Now I am retired and receive a monthly pension from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government. I have inquired about relevant people. Although the pension is only taxed in the place where the pension was originally issued, some relevant people pointed out that although my monthly pension is only taxed in Hong Kong and does not have to file a tax return with the British Inland Revenue Department, although it is retained as a pension payment notice and bank Account transaction records are checked when necessary. The problem is that I receive a monthly pension from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government. According to the laws of Hong Kong, I will always be a tax resident in Hong Kong. I have a small amount of savings and want to open a time deposit in the bank to earn meager interest to support living expenses. Unfortunately, The bank staff pointed out that I have a Hong Kong and British double taxation status and cannot open a time deposit account. I don't know how to open a fixed deposit account according to my situation? Hope someone can share an opinion.
Posted Thu, 18 May 2023 12:12:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Sorry, we can only answer questions appropriate to HMRC on this forum.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.