Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 22 Oct 2023 03:51:31 GMT by Rob Williams
I am and am an Australian citizen (born in Australia), aged 72 years, and am retired. I'd worked in the UK for five years (2008 to 2013) and had opened a UK bank account on arrival. When I'd returned to Australia, I'd left money in that account. Can I transfer savings from my Australian bank account to my UK account? If so, how much can I transfer and will there be any UK income tax payable on the amount transferred?
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:20:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi, 

US government bonds, sometimes known as T-bills or treasury bills are generally taxed as income rather than capital gains. 

The return is paid at maturity rather than regular interest payments. 

In the UK, these are known as deeply discounted securities, with the discount being the difference between
the price at which they were issued and the price received at maturity. 

On a foreign investment the income is the difference between the purchase and redemption price after each has been converted
to sterling on the day the transactions took place, so includes any foreign exchange gains. 

Losses cannot be deducted.
Have a look at :

www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/savings-and-investment-manual/saim3010 for more information .

If you invest in deeply discounted securities, put the difference between what you paid for the bond and what you redeem or
sell it for in box 3 of SA101 (page Ai1). 

See :

Additional information Tax year 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023 (2022–23)  and  :

Use these notes to help you fill in the Additional information pages of your tax return

ITTOIA05/S439 contains the basic computational provision.

A profit on disposal arises where the amount received exceeds the amount paid.

No account is taken of any incidental costs of acquisition or disposal, except where the disposal is of listed securities
and the incidental costs were incurred before 27 March 2003.

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.