Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:09:26 GMT by david leff
Hi : new one for me : Have a london based client sole trader, just received from TFL a £7,000 grant for scrapping van that was non-ulez complient. question : do I include the 7k as the disposal value for capital allowances purposes ? I know for vat the 7k is not relevant thanks
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:04:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Effectively any such grant, with a few exceptions, reduces the qualifying expenditure accordingly. This normally relates to grants received on the purchase of an asset or shortly after, although there is not any specific time limit for receiving the grant that relates to this. The grant is not towards the purchase cost however, it is to scrap the asset and so we think the more relevant instruction here would be at CA23240 which covers disposal events and more specifically CA23250 that gives a list of what disposal amounts need to be brought into account.

CA23240 - PMA: WDA & balancing adjustments: Disposal events

CA23250 - PMA: WDA & balancing adjustments: Disposal values

For 'demolition or destruction' of the asset it says 'net amount received for the asset together with any insurance money received for the demolition or destruction and any other capital compensation. This would seem to cover any payment made for scrappage and so it should be brought in as the disposal value, assuming that was all that was received, in respect of the asset.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.