Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 07:45:57 GMT by jejd68
Hi, Through my accountant I submitted a tax return for 2022/23. I am a £100,000 plus earner but I also self-assessed because I needed to claim higher rate on pension contributions - I had done so for a number of years. I just discovered that HMRC removed me from self-assessment for 2023/24 although I didn't ask them to. This is most frustrating as I still need to file a return. My accountant says he can still submit a return but it will be unsolicited and possibly suffer delays in processing because there is a significant repayment due to me. Please advise? As you will please appreciate, I don't want to spend precious time filling in more forms or making long phone calls (or paying my accountant to make them), just to get my self-assessment record reopened - I didn't ask for it to be closed in the first place. Is there a quick fix? Many thanks, JEJD
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 14:40:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
You do not need to file a Self Assessment return to claim tax relief on your personal pension payments, you can do so by contacting our Income Tax team.
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.