Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2024 10:27:26 GMT by Cormac Munnelly
Hi Team. I purchased interest paying preference shares, and ordinary shares (not through EIS) in my personal name in a non listed company in 2017. The company went into court ordered administration in 2023. In 2024 the liquidators deemed that there were no assets in the business to repay creditors. I understand that the loss can be offset against a capital gain, however I would like to to know if it is possible to offset the loss on the Preference Shares and/or the Ordinary Shares against personal income tax (given I do not have capital gains to offset against and do not expect to have capital gains in the future? Many thanks for any help on this matter.
Posted Fri, 02 Aug 2024 08:38:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Cormac,
Provided the shares were unlisted shares and securities, losses can be set against income.  A tax return will be required to claim those losses and elected to set them against income on page CG2 of SA108 or the online equivalent.  If they were listed shares and securities, then the loss can only be carried forward.  (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/660bbb40f9ab417b75eea375/sa108_2024.pdf).
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.