Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 11:38:18 GMT by Autocan Wood
Hi , I  have had a text and an SMS saying I owe a fee for a PPi tax claim. The company said they claimed on my behalf and i have had payment. The payment value matches a claim I done myself for uniform tax through government gateway. They are asking for a fee for a claim which I claimed & submitted myself . The original email was from info@reclaimmyppitax but when i replied to ask what the claim was for the return email address had a long string of numbers and letters after it. Is it likely a phishing scam? Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2024 09:16:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Autocan Wood,
To check if HMRC have received a claim from the company on your behalf you can contact HMRC here:
Income Tax: general enquiries.
If you think this a fraudulent claim then you would need to report the details to action fraud
0300 123 2040 website www.actionfraud.police.uk.
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 22 May 2024 10:09:53 GMT by Autocan Wood
I dont know if it is fraudulent. Thats what i am trying to find out and the chatbot in the income tax general enquires doesn't understand my question. The problems i have are the company demanding a fee (Reclaim my PPI tax) have got all and i mean all of my details even a detailed letter from HMRC breaking down the claim. The issues i have which are making me question the fee are as follows. 1) They are saying its a PPI(Payment protection insurance) claim, the value on the claim form they have was for uniform tax i submitted myself through my government gateway log in. 2) Why would you tell them they could demand a fee and also pass on all my claim details , flying in the face of GDPR (which i have set up for numerous businesses i might add)for something i claimed and submitted myself , i am not pleased at all about HMRC passing my personal data like that. 3) I cant remember knowingly asking for a 3rd party to help , i have autism/OCD and anxiety and i am also suffering with neurological issues at the moment but it and the company name definitely doesn't ring a bell. The actual trying to get an answer part off you and the emails off them are grinding me down and people wonder why other people suffer over automated systems etc not just HMRC but every similar chat system in use. Then you get the "We understand and are here to help" but it is literally a maze to even get anywhere productive and the actual getting to speak to a person is non existent. 4) When i replied to the first email questioning the fee it sent to a person but also had a string of characters after the name which looked odd. 5)I then sent the same question re the fee to the company email address off the internet and it sent to them, i haven't had a response but from what i can see it is a different return email address. As an FYi i can see why people fall for these if this indeed this is a scam. Your reporting service is woefully inadequate. Everything you send back is the most generic , non committal email i have ever seen "If you are suspicious report it" like yeah that's what i have been trying to do for days but before i do i want to make sure its nota scam that is the crux of it. I don't want to report them if this is from a company that you work with as it might harm there business if indeed they are legit. Once i report them (if needed) i can't take it back and potential damage to there businesses reputation is done. Noone at HMRC has any idea whether it is or isn't, they hide behind a noreply email address and a chat bot that doesn't work throwing out loophole answers. I'm sorry but that's how i see it.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.