Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 07 Jan 2024 10:46:55 GMT by
At the business I work at, we have used my personal eBay account to clear out old warehouse stock from the business. All sales from eBay are paid into the business bank account and I make no personal profit from the account. The sales are recorded in the businesses end of year accounts and VAT is paid accordingly by the business. As it is a personal eBay account with my name and address, am I now likely to receive a letter regarding a self assessment? If so, what will I need to do to show that I am not personally profiting from the account? Understand that this should have been set up as a business eBay account but it was overlooked at the time and have only just realised, so it will be moving forward.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:21:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Yes.  It is quite possible that you will receive a letter advising that a self assement tax return is required.  
You should write to H.M. Revenue and Customs Self Assessment BX9 1AS (including your national insurance number) and advise of this situation, in the interest of full disclosure.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:37:32 GMT by
Thank you for your response. Should this be done now or when the letter is received? And what should be included other than my national insurance number?
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:34:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Your letter would explain the circumstance of the situation you find yourself in.  It is up to you whether to do this now or wait to see if you get a letter.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.