Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 03 Feb 2024 18:44:53 GMT by
I was invested in a company which had a UK listing on the AIM market, where i held shares in this company in a Stocks & Shares ISA, a LISA and as part of a SIPP. The shares were all puchased under the tax wrappers for the ISAs and the SIPP. When the company delisted a couple of years ago the shares were moved out of the tax wrapper for the ISAs (which i understand is normal practice) by my stockbroker/the organisations where i hold my shares, i think they are still showing in the SIPP. The company I was invested in is still in existence and not registered on any stock markets around the world. I understand that we are still shareholders of the company but its just a lot more difficult to trade shares as they are not listed on a stock exchange. I'd like to understand the situation for 3 possible scenarios which could happen in 2024. 1. If the company was to relist on the UK stock exchange (most likely the AIM market), would the shares automatically be moved back into the ISAs and SIPP and therefore be back under the tax wrapper. Would there be any implications on the peronal allowances/threshold for the current year for the ISAs? 2. If the company were to sell up/be bought out by another company without relisting, would we be liable for any UK taxes on the proceeds/profits that we would receive as shareholders, as the shares were purchased originally under the tax wrappers of the ISA and SIPP? 3. If the company were to sell up/be bought out and we were given shares in the purchasing company, would these shares be listed in the ISA and SIPP, and still fall under the tax wrappers? Many thanks
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 10:25:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

HMRC cannot comment on future events as legislation, and, or plans may change.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 12:34:05 GMT by
Could you comment on what the situation would be now under currently legislation?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.