Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:37:13 GMT by hpccpatest
I plan on moving to the UK sometime in March 2024. Based on that move-in date, I will be a non-resident in the UK for the tax year of April 2023 - April 2024. My spouse is currently studying in the UK for the past 6 months and hence she is a resident in the UK. Both of us are non-UK domiciled. Through my previous employer in the US, I have earned money (through wages and sold vested RSUs) and have paid taxes on this income already in the US (while I am a non-UK resident). 1. Do I need to pay taxes in the UK on this money, if I send it to my spouse's UK bank account? 2. Do I need to pay taxes in the UK on this money, if I send it to my my UK bank account (once I open one on arriving in the UK)?
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 08:33:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

As you will not be resident in the UK for tax purposes for 2023 to 2024, your earnings from your US employer, vested stock and such, will not be taxable in the UK.

If you arrive in the UK from the dates you mention, then from 6 April 2024 anything earned outside the UK will be taxable in the UK.  

If you bring any earnings, and, or capital gains to the UK, that arise when you are not tax resident, these would be considered capital and is not taxable. Anything after 6 April would be taxable.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.