Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:14:57 GMT by
Hello, please help with the following: I arrived in UK on the 1st of June and became a tax resident of UK from that date (using split). My funds have been transferred to UK by bank transfer on the 1st of June too. Did my clean capital arise in such a case given that midnight between 1 and 2 of June is taking into accout for tax residence purposes? I believe my tax residence period has been started from the 2nd of June and I have clean capital because it was transferred on 1th of June.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 07:50:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Aristo,
HMRC cannot confirm your residence position.  
The onus is on you to inform us what date you became resident in the UK.
Please refer to the Statutory Residence Test which will help you work this out.
 6. Split years
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 07:57:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Deborah Cook,
Under the circumstances you describe, there would be no Capital Gains Tax to pay on the sale of your home, as Private Residence Relief  would cover the full period of ownership.
Tax when you sell your home                                                           
We are unable to answer queries on Stamp Duty on this forum,  but you may find the following guidance helpful:  
 Stamp Duty Land Tax
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:26:39 GMT by
Dear Admin, Thank you, let me clarify. The question is about clean capital. For example, I had home in UK and started UK part of my tax residence from the 1st of June (split). Will the funds that I have transferred on the 1st of June be my clean capital?
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 10:41:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

You have not given enough information to confirm. Please refer to link below and section 1.5 to see if you meet the conditions of a clean fund.

Remittance basis 2023 (HS264)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.