Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 22:11:54 GMT by Jamie May
Hey wondering if some one can shed some light as new to all this, I have done a self assessment and wondering why it says this below Total amount due for 2023-24 Plus First payment on account for 2024-25 Total to be added to Self Assessment account due by 31 January 2025 Second payment on account for 2024-25 will be due by 31 July 2025 Why is it showing I need to pay next years before I’ve even do another assessment :/ I’ve left the figures out which I’m hoping are irrelevant to who knows about this kind of stuff Regards 

Name removed Admin >
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 15:13:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

When you submit your Self Assessment tax return, if the balance due is over £1000, and less than 80% of your tax is deducted at source, then payments on account are introduced towards the next tax year's balance. You can see guidance here:

Understand your Self Assessment tax bill

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 15:49:20 GMT by Jamie May
Thank you for replying, This helped me to try to understand it a bit better. It’s not so straight forward to understand, now I know why people get an accountant to do this, but I don’t see the point of doing it as I write everything down on a spread sheet an keep all receipts an logs to back it up Jamie

You must be signed in to post in this forum.