Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 08:23:21 GMT by
Hi, I finished work in February 2021 to look after my father so was receiving a small carers allowance each month. In October 2021 I opened a pension with Pension Bee. Each month I have been putting money from my savings into the pension. I know this is naive but did not realise that there was a limit to what I could pay into the pension because of not working and also the tax relief HMRC contributed. Pension Bee have automatically been collecting tax relief from HMRC and adding it to my contributions putting me way over my allowance. This has gone on from when I first started the pension in October 2021 up until now. I have contacted Pension Bee, as I thought they were the scheme administrator ,for help in resolving this issue as I want to pay back the over claimed tax relief. They tell me I have to register for self assessment. Please can anyone tell me if this is what I have to do, or if Pension Bee could help me more. Many thanks to anyone who can advise. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:15:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If you have overpaid into the pension, then you need to declare this in a Self Assessment Tax Return, so that the overpaid element can be charged to tax.

You would need to submit SA100 (tax return) and SA101 (additional information) on page Ai4 under pensions savings tax charges, boxes 10 and 11.  

You can register for self assessment below, if you have never registered for self asssessment before.

Check how to register for Self Assessment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.