Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 15:21:51 GMT by Hazel
Hi. I would like to ask a question I have a pension of about £25,000 a year, and I'm on the correct tax code. I have recently started being paid to do cat sitting which is through a digital platform called cat in a flat , at what point would I need to start declaring my earnings from this, as it is not a regular income. Thank you
Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 06:28:41 GMT by Jade38
Hi, looking some advice. I got a notification yesterday re my tax code changing. I currently earn 37,350 in my main employment and my tax code is 1246L (reduced due to taxable expenses via work). I have a second job, a banking contract. They have estimated my income to be £13,700. My tax code for this employment has always been BR. My tax code for my main employment changed to 848L and second employment has stayed at BR. I was advised this was due to earnings bringing me over 50k. Is this correct? Should my main employment tax code not remain the same as they are 2 separate employments? Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 09:42:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

If your second income takes you over the 40% tax bracket, but not enough so that your whole second income is taxable at 40%, we are unable to issue a D0 code to that employment.

Therefore we calculate the amount due at 40% and add an adjustment to rateband to your main employment.

Your secondary employment will be taxed at 20% and the amount that is due at 40% will be collected through your main employment.

Thank you .
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 09:59:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Hazel,
If this is self employed income then if the gross income will be greater than £1000 then you would need to register for Self Assessment and declare the self employed income:
Set up as a sole trader: step by step
If income as an employee then the employer will submit the started details to HMRC and a tax code would be issued. 
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 03:46:21 GMT by Okechukwu Ngwu
Hi, Please I need some clarification, Tax code 1257L of a new employee who started first job in Uk in March was tax free in March then in April, tax deduction of 322 was taken. Please I need clarification, I thought the income shouldn't be taxed until after earning first £12,570. Please help.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 16:56:24 GMT by Mark Carr
Hi I was wondering do I need to let tax know that I have a second job or will my part- time job fill in a form that let’s them know
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 16:15:08 GMT by Sarah Alexander
Hi I have just started a second job and will be working 22.5 hours a week. My first job I only work 7.5 hours a week therefore I do not pay any tax, I am just wondering what will happen now with regards to paying tax on my second job will I get taxed 20% on a combined wage or just from the second job? Thanks
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 11:14:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
The tax free allowance for 2024/25 is £12,570. So this is then given over the course of the tax year Apr 24 - March 25.
This allows you to earn 1047.50 every month before tax is deducted.
Anything unused that month will roll forward to the next month.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 11:43:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Your personal allowance for this year is 12570, so this works out at 1047.50 every month of the tax year, if you have only 1 employment this is given to that employment, but if you have 2 you may be able to split your allowance between the 2 of them. You should contact our helpine so we can review if this is possible.  see link: Income Tax: general enquiries
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 13:18:50 GMT by Rash K
Hi, I am an international student, working Full time as a placement student and earning 22,500. I am planning to do a part time along with the full time to earn some extra cash. Can you help me how the tax works for me in this case? I'm currently on the tax code 1257L. If I work for 15 hours a week part time which pays an hourly rate of 13 let's say. How does the tax work for me? Do I need to pay 40% on my part time? Could you please let me know how it all works and how much I would potentially have to pay in tax and national insurance etc?
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 08:57:45 GMT by Bobbie1555
Good morning, I have a job paid at £75K I am considering taking a second role as a consultant paid in IR35 at a day rate of £400. I wonder how this affects my tax and first role etc.
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 13:18:09 GMT by emily 31
Hi, I have become a company director and will be gaining a salary which is yet to be determined in addition on quarterly bonuses. I currently work my "main job" 32 hours and earn roughly £40,000 per annum. I plan to reduce my hours to 16 in my 'main job" and work the for the other company. Does it matter which is my main job? how does this affect my tax status? My tax code currently is 1407M. Are the bonuses taxable too? Thank you
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 23:20:33 GMT by Kerman
Hi, I currently earn £29,000 however I am looking to get second job in which my salary will be £10,000. How much tax will I pay on my second job and will this mean I remain in the basic rate tax band of earnings between £12,571 and £50,270? Thanks,
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 08:50:32 GMT by Kate Marshall
I’m currently working a full time job and bring home after tax £1,800. I’m looking at taking up a 0 hour contract as a second income on my days off. Some months I could earn up to £1300 and on other months earn £100 I currently pay national insurance and pension on my full time job as well as tax. Could I be advised on how my second job will affect my take home income from my full time job or will it only affect my second job take home. If it does affect either what percentage of tax will it change too ? Will it effect my tax code on my main job?
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 09:22:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Rash K,
The tax free allowance for this tax year Apr 24 - Mar 25 is 12570, which allows your to earn £1047.50 every month before you start paying tax.This is what is being applied to your placement employment (1257L code) , if you commence at 2nd P/T employment because, all you personal allowance is used at the main job, you would be taxed at the Basis Rate of tax which is 20% which will be shown as a BR code. At your 2nd job your should sign a P46 with them and tick statement c to indicate that it is not your main employment.
Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances  / Tax Codes.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 10:53:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

If you will be off payroll working (IR35) and a current student load borrower, then you will be required
to complete a self assessment tax return to declare your world-wide income. 

You would would be able to declare your employment and IR35 income. 

If there is no student loan aspect to you, then the company will notify HMRC, through 'RTI' that you are working
'off payroll working' (OPW) and a tax code applied against this income. 

A tax return would not be required, unless for some other unrelated reason.

Thank you .
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 15:03:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Kerman,
If your total income for the tax year is below £50,270 then you will pay income tax at 20%.
Please see rates here:
Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances
Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 11:45:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

Your "Main Job" is generally the Job with the largest Salary - however under PAYE it doesn't really matter what is your
"Main Job" - as a PAYE taxpayer your Tax Status will remain the same - your Bonuses will be considered as Taxable Income -

please see - :

Tax codes   .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.