Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 14:12:45 GMT by Zisis Kostakakis
Hello, I am new to the laws of having multiple ISAs etc, from my understanding you can have a single ISA per type i.e (LISA, stocks/shares ISA) account that can be created each year. But can only contribute to one of it. So here's my situation that I am trying to untangle Got a Stocks/Shares ISA that I created on September 2022 that I have been investing from September 2022 up to March 2024 I have just opened a secondary ISA that also allows single stock buys and conducted a mandatory deposit of a 1£ while following the tutorial for setting up the ISA. I have not buy/sell any on the new ISA account other than the 1£ that went in. First, I would like to know if there's any action that need to be conducted as I am not sure if depositing money in a secondary ISA counts as contributing to it? Second, with the new regulations that are coming in place for 24/25 ISA for multiple subscriptions on the same type of ISA, does that mean I would be able to contribute on my two currently opened stocks/shares ISA accounts without having to worry about being on the wrong? Should I close the newly opened account and reopen it after the tax year resets and contribute to it then? Thanks in advance for your time and help! Regards
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:32:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Any deposit made by you is classed as making a contribution and forms part of the £20000 limit so even the £1 you have made means you have paid into 2 ISAs for 2023 to 2024 and one should therefore be closed. This changes after 6 April 2024 where you can then make payments into more than one each tax year.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.