Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 06:08:22 GMT by
Hi, I would greatly appreciate some guidance regarding my tax situation as I prepare to relocate to London. Here's a summary of my circumstances: I hold a British passport and currently work for a company based in Hong Kong. I am also a Hong Kong Permanent Resident since 2017. In a month's time, I will be moving to London as my partner begins a 2-year graduate course there. My company has agreed to continue employing me as a remote worker while I reside in the UK, with all of my work being carried out digitally and primarily contributing to the Hong Kong office. It's important to note that my company has no clients in the UK, no physical office there, and I will not engage in any physical work within the UK. I receive my salary in Hong Kong dollars, which is transferred to my Hong Kong bank account every month. Additionally, I currently fulfill my tax obligations in Hong Kong on my income. However, I am unsure about the potential tax implications if I choose to transfer my monthly salary from my Hong Kong account to my UK account to support my living in the UK. I'm aware that there is a double taxation agreement between Hong Kong and the UK, but not entirely sure how it applies to my situation. My intention is to return to Hong Kong as soon as my partner complete her degree, to resume living and working in Hong Kong. I would greatly appreciate any insights or clarity on how my tax situation might be affected by this relocation and remote work arrangement. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Posted Fri, 09 Feb 2024 13:28:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.