Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:11:59 GMT by Jenny Sendek
Back in August 2023, my brother suddenly passed away at age 40 at his home in the United Kingdom. Due to the circumstances, we did not receive his death certificate until November 2023. My father is the self-appointed Executor as my brother did not leave a Will. Up to now, my father has been handling the estate. My brother worked for a large company. With this company, they provided Death Benefits (I believe this to be the same as Life Insurance), and, to my shock, I was told I was informed the trustees had decided that I was the sole beneficiary of the money. They have processed the payment this week and it will be sent to my UK bank account. The company only offered this option. In addition, my father has an executor account with the bank where other monies have been paid into from savings, checking and other smaller amounts where we did not have a named beneficiary. This leads me to my questions and I’m hoping to find some advice. As I am a British National but a Legal Permanent Resident in the USA, what taxes should I file in the UK? There was no property, all inheritance is cash only from various sources.
Posted Tue, 02 Apr 2024 10:47:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

You can find guidance here:

Tax on a private pension you inherit

For Inheritance Tax, you would need to check the US laws for tax due on non US assets. For the UK, you can find guidance here:

How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.