Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 19:54:07 GMT by some12789
Hi, I used to live in the UK and was a tax resident for 15+ years. I left the UK in 2021 and for FY 22/23 met the automatic non-residence test. I own my house in the UK, it's fully suited for habiting and it is vacant, i.e. not being rented to anyone. The place I lived abroad is my parents' house, meaning I do not own nor rent it, but I'm registered as living there and I considered it my home for the 2 years. No UK income besides some trivial bank balance interest 
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 13:19:09 GMT by some12789
Seems the question got cut off for some reason: What is my UK tax residency start date in the following scenarios: Scenario 1: I returned to UK for 7 days on April 15th working remotely for my foreign employer, 2 days on 1st of July, each time staying in the house I own. I continue working for my foreign employer until 1st of September, when I quit and on 2nd of September move to UK and take up residence in my UK house. I remain in UK for the rest of the FY 23/24. When did I become resident in UK? Surely not when I visited for social purposes? Scenario 2: I visit UK for 7 days on April 15th, working remotely for my foreign employer, then for 2 days on 1st of July, 1st of Ocotber and move to UK on 1st of March, not taking up any employment before April 8th 2024. According to Split year treatment I shouldn't be considered a tax resident in UK for FY 23/24 but is that correct?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:08:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi some12789,
HMRC cannot advise you on your residence as this is for you to determine based on the guidance available
RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Contents
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.