Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 May 2024 04:52:49 GMT by james123456789
I’m confused about how to tell HMRC that I’ve left the UK to live abroad permanently. I am no longer a UK resident and I’m self employed. I left in Jan 2021, but have paid UK taxes via self assessment every year since as I was unsure if the move would be permanent and there was no way for me to pay tax abroad at that stage, and I was advised to ensure I’m paying tax somewhere so I kept paying UK tax. I’m now based abroad permanently and set up to pay tax here. I’ve already filed a P85 form. On the Gov.uk website, it looks like I also need to complete a self assessment with the SA109 section by post. I haven’t filed a self assessment for this year, I started to fill it out but I didn’t see the SA109 or any sections about living abroad, and at the stage of near completion it looked like I would be charged UK taxes just the same as previous years so I abandoned it. Do I need to submit anything else to let HMRC know I’ve left the UK permanently? Or is the P85 sufficient? Do I need to post an SA109 across the world or can this be done online at all? Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 11:17:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi james123456789y,
If you have left the UK and do not need to complete a tax return, please complete the online form P85 at Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK (P85).  
If you need to complete a tax return in the tax year you left the UK, you would need to include the supplementary page SA109.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.