Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2024 21:22:56 GMT by Juno
I moved to the UK in 2022 Aug by BNO VISA. Do I need to make any declaration to the HMRC for any of below transactions? Do I pay any tax on any of below transactions? 1) If I transfer my own savings from Hong Kong bank account (with interest around 780 pound per year ) to the UK account. 2) If my parents , siblings , relatives or friends from HK transfer money to my UK bank account as gift. Is there maximum amount set if gift is not consider as taxable? 3) If my parents transfer a big amount of money ( e.g. 30000 pounds) to my Hong Kong bank account ( not UK ) , is it consider as capital gain and need to be taxed ? Thanks a lot for your help.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 10:40:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Juno,
Here is our response to your questions:
1. The interest needs to be declared,
2. No as there is no tax due on cash gifts,
3. No.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 12:18:20 GMT by Juno
Hi there, Thanks for your reply. Forther to your reply , I would like to clarify 1) Understood that any interest gain needs to be declared. So is the saving I transfer from HK to UK bank account non taxable ? E.g. If I have GBP 40000 in HK account which generate GBP 700 per year. Is it non taxable if I transfer the GBP 40000 Saving into UK bank account ? 2) Is there maximum amount of money gift ? Thanks a lot .
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 05:43:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Juno,
As the savings in the account did not arise when you were resident in the UK, it is not taxable if you transfer it to the UK.
Any interest that the savings in the account generated, while you are resident in the UK, are taxable in the UK and should be declared.
Thank you, 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.