Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 15:48:48 GMT by Ihor90
I received a letter that says: " You are due a repayment of Income Tax for the 2021 - 2022 tax year. A cheque is attached below.'' Please tell me where and how I can pay this cheque?
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 11:08:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
If you have received a cheque, you would need to go into your local bank branch and have them deposit it into your account.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2024 11:20:02 GMT by Ihor90
Thanks for the answer I apologize, I formulated the question incorrectly, I received a letter that I need to repay the debt, with bank details: Bank Account: 486271252 Sort Code: 09-23-55, can you tell me that these are the correct bank details of HM Revenue & Customs bank?
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2024 11:57:27 GMT by BellaBoo
Hi not a HMRC Admin, but that sort code you've given isn't a valid sort code. As far as I'm aware, HMRC sort code for direct taxes (like income tax, corporation tax etc) is 08-32-10. For indirect taxes (VAT etc) it is 08-32-00. For child benefit it is 08-32-30. 08-32-20 for National Insurance. So they all start 08-32 to my knowledge and if you check any of them on a sort code checker, they are all identified as "Government Banking" (for normal non-government accounts it will only tell you the bank name & branch). I'd maybe still check with HMRC directly to ensure details havent been mistyped (plus it is not a very good scam if the bank details aren't valid as how would they receive payment) but I'm 100% confident the bank details you've provided aren't valid HMRC details.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 08:57:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
HMRC have different bank accounts for different areas of tax. Could you confirm which letter you have received? If you prefer, you can contact HMRC to discuss this and they will be able to confirm the options that are available for you to make a payment. Income Tax: general enquiries

You must be signed in to post in this forum.