Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Jun 2023 22:48:34 GMT by
I'm now a US citizen. I don't have any UK income but I have a pension pot in the UK that I want to cash out and move the money to the US. I want to pay tax in the US, not the UK so I'm trying to fill out the DT-Individual form. I need some help with a few of the questions. Q8 - Do the tax authorities in your country of residence tax you only on the amount you remit to or receive there? - What? Is this just asking if I pay tax in the US? Q9 - Do you remit to your country of residence all of the income from the sources that you show on this form? Um, I don't have any income, or is the cashed out pension pot classed as income for the purposes of this form? I don't see anywhere to document the money I'll be moving, it's not a pension or an annuity so section C.2 doesn't apply. I'm not applying for a tax refund as I want to file this form before I cash out the pension. Any help on understanding how to fill this form would be appreciated. I've tried phoning several times but each time I get told that someone will call me back by some date and they never do.
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 16:39:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
You cannot complete the form before cashing out the pension.
The pension has to be in payment before we can approve it.
This means the pension company will tax the payment and you will then be looking to claim a refund.
Section C2 will therefore apply.  
Answer yes to both q8 and q9.
Thankyou.
Posted Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:07:10 GMT by
Thanks for your reply. The notes for section C2 talk about pensions and purchased annuities and continuing payments. None of that applies in this case. I'm not receiving a pension and I'm not purchasing an annuity. I'm taking the entire pension pot as a lump sum - a one time transaction. So, as far as I can work out, Part D would the appropriate section to fill out. If I am supposed to use section C2 then please advise how to fill that out for a one time payment and which of the boxes to tick in section F... Thanks
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:36:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Section C2 has 3 columns.  
In column 1, please enter the description 'lump sum', with the name and address of the lump sum provider.  
In column 2, please enter the reference number payer of the lump sum payer and in column 3, the date on which you received the lump sum.  Please also complete part D if UK tax has been deducted.
Thankyou.
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 15:39:00 GMT by Michael Mould
I'd like guidence on answering 2 questions in the Double Taxation Individual German form. I have a UK pension and live in Germany. As a German resident I am subject to pay German income tax on all my income regardless of source. So, this includes my UK pension. To avoid double taxation I am trying to fill out the above mentioned form, but I'm stuck on section B1. Question 7: Do the tax authorities in your country of residence tax you only on the amount you remit to or receive there? Yes or no? What does remit mean? Declare? I am required by German law to pay German income tax on all my income, so I guess "no" is the correct answer? Question 8: Do you remit to your country of residence all of the income from the sources that you show in this form? Yes or no? If no, how much of the income, if any, do you remit? This time I guess "yes" is the correct answer as I declare all my UK pension to the German tax authorities? I look forward to any helpful answers.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:55:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You are correct, the answer to question 7 is no, and to question 8, is yes.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.