Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:50:28 GMT by
Hi I checked on the government website ( that I don't need to file a tax return. However. I have some interest generated from banks previously in 2022 and 2023. I wonder if I need to pay tax and how I pay for it. There hasn't been an HMRC person requiring me to file a tax return or requesting tax on my interest. Thannks
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 10:59:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
As the Self Assessment criteria tool confirms that tax return is not required, all you need to do is notify HMRC in writing, your bank/building society interest.
You would itemise in a list, the bank / building society name, account number and sort code.
You would also need to confirm if the account is a joint account or not and how much interest the account accrued.
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 11:08:23 GMT by
Hi, Can I do it by email? The place I am living is not easy accessible to post office. Will there be a notice from HMRC advising me the tax payable after I notify the interest receive in 2022 / 2023. Thanks TSZ HONG CHAN
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 12:57:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

No, you cannot inform us by email. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.