Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 03 Nov 2023 08:51:43 GMT by
With the increase in interest rates in previous tax year my bank interest exceeds 2000GBP and is less than 10000GBP. I registered for self assessment before 5 Oct and I have not received a reply, nor a UTR. Does the lack of reply mean HMRC decided I should not do self assessment or is it a an error or delay? I have called 03002003310 numerous times and get passed to different menus before HMRC hung up. Also query with the HMRC bot assistant provide superficial feedback on a spiral of inapplicable responses and menus. If I should do self assessment how do I register and get the UTR number. The deadline for registration has passed and the deadline for the declaration is 90 days away.
Posted Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:56:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If your bank interest is less then £10,000 then this will not be criteria for Self Assessment.

If you registered and a Self Assessment UTR has now been allocated you would need to contact HMRC to review if tax return is needed. You can check if you meet criteria here:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Self Assessment: general enquiries

If you do meet other Self Assessment criteria and the Self Assessment is issued late then you will have 3 months and a week to file the tax return before late filing penalties are due. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.