Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2024 16:51:16 GMT by Alison Fairhurst
My dad died in January 2022. He & Mum had created wills with April King Legal, They had changed ownership of their house from joint tenants basis to tenants in common. On first death, the deceased's half of their house would go into a trust, and then come to me on second death. (Mum is thriving, so hopefully this will not come to me for a long, long time!) They created the wills around 20 years ago, after both experienced serious illness, and the intention was to protect me, as their only child and beneficiary, from a theoretical second marriage. This week, I have received a letter from April King Legal, advising me that I need to register the trust with HMRC within 2 years of Dad's death. They state that they have no obligation to remind me of this. I am at a loss as to why they have only told me this after the deadline has long passed, instead of telling me before the deadline, however at least I now know I have to do something. Mum has decided to move to a care home, so the house is now for sale. Can someone please let me know what I need to do & how to do it? Dad's total estate value at time of death, including his half of the house, was around £120k. The house has been valued at £220k.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 12:45:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Please see following information which details how to register a trust:
When you must register a trust
HMRC cannot offer any tax planning advice. You may also wish to seek professional advise for this.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.