Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 19:23:07 GMT by
I have moved country and have been asked by my new bank to prove I am no longer a UK tax resident. Unfortunately I have not been able to obtain any information that the bank see as proof.
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 17:03:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ashley humphrey,
You will need to ask your bank what sort of proof they require.
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:56:10 GMT by mdog69
You may also want to consider raising a complaint to the bank, as "proving a negative" is very difficult. (For example I can easily prove that I have a bank account with X by producing a bank card, statement, or other correspondence, but how would I prove that I don't have a bank account with X - the answer is "I can't"). Note also that it is likely that any initial call to the bank would be to someone who probably knows nothing more than "Computer says prove you are not a UK tax resident", and you will probably have to get the matter escalated.
Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 05:06:51 GMT by
This is incredibly frustrating. I visited my local branch or bank recently to ask for the exact document they require but they couldn’t give me an answer. We have filled out a p85 form which I was told my me accountant would be sufficient. Unfortunately this wasn’t enough proof for them. I have been told that if I can’t proof the matter they will close my account.
Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:43:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Unfortunaltey this is a matter between you and your bank and not for HMRC to comment on.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.