Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2024 13:02:43 GMT by Shivan D
Hello, I'm struggling to work out what will happen at the end of this tax year with the following situation (all figures per annum): - Income from earnings: £5,000 - Interest on savings: £9,000 - Pension contributions into a SIPP paid from income (i.e. not taken at source): £3000 Specifically, I'm trying to understand the treatment of interest on savings. As far as I understand it: - The £5,000 starting rate on savings applies as income from earnings is below £12,570. - The £1,000 PSA then applies for the same reason. - So it's now £6,000 of interest from savings that doesn't attract tax. - The remaining £3,000 would then attract interest at the 'normal tax rate'. - My understanding is that this would then be treated as effectively income from earnings and, as the £5,000 + £3,000 would still be less than £12,570, no tax would be due. In other words, the 'normal rate' would still be 0% as the £12,570 threshold hasn't been reached. Is that correct? And could I generalise that to stating that providing income from earnings + interest from savings totalled less than £17,570, no tax would be due until this threshold had been crossed? I'm then further assuming that the pension contributions would increase that number further i.e. the total could be £20,570 i.e. income from earnings + interest from savings could be up to £20,570 before any tax was due provided £3,000 was contributed to a private pension from earnings. Is that correct? Many thanks in advance - I'd like to be able to help explain this to the family member to whom this applies as clearly as possible, so very grateful for confirmation on the part before considering the pension contributions, and then, separately, whether I've got the pension contributions part correct as well.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 08:37:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Yes with those figures no tax would be due.
Details on tax on interest:
Tax on savings interest
Thankyou.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 20:35:22 GMT by Shivan D
Many thanks. Could I just double check... are both assumptions correct i.e. is the pension contribution part correct too? Specifically, if earnings, plus interest from savings were up to £20,570, with pension contributions of £3,000 from earnings, would that still incur no tax? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2024 05:53:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Shivan D,
Both assumptions are correct, through please note that different rules apply if the specific income amount exceeds £17,500.
Tax on savings interest
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2024 11:52:49 GMT by Shivan D
Hi - many thanks again. That is very helpful to know. Please could you just point me to where I might understand more on the words 'different rules apply if the specific income amount exceeds £17,500'? I just want to make sure I fully understand whether that's income plus interest from savings and where that figure comes from. Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 13:48:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Shivan D,
Please see this link for further guidance. 
https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.