Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 23:53:16 GMT by
Hi, I moved back to Australia in March 2020, completed my 19/20 self-assessment on time and advised HMRC of my new address and that I would not be returning to the UK. I have since received notice that my 20/21 and 21/22 self-assessments are overdue and have incurred penalties. I didn't realise that I needed to complete self-assessment for those years, as I am no longer a tax resident. I used the chat function, and was told to just submit the return and then appeal the penalty afterwards. I was never sent any paperwork about my 20/21 assessment, just my 21/22 one, which is why it is a shock. But when I go into do it, it asks my tax residency - and only gives the option of England and Wales. I was not a tax resident so I don't feel comfortable submitting. Does anyone have any advice?
Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 12:10:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If you appeal against the late filing penalties by completing form SA370 , it will be clear from the information you provide what your residency position is.                

SA370 Appeal – Self Assessment: Appeal against penalties for late filing and late payment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.