Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 19 Aug 2023 11:08:40 GMT by Andre Oliveira
Hi. I'm trying to change the address retroactively in Portugal and to do that, I need a "Certificate of Residence". I applied for a "Certificate of Residence" here ( but instead got a "Letter of confirmation of residence" which the Portuguese authorities don't accept. This was the responses I got from the tax services in Portugal: "A Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira (AT) agradece o seu contacto. Conforme informado anteriormente e também em interacções anteriores o documento que deve apresentar para comprovar a retroactividade de morada pretendida é o Certificado de Residência Fiscal emitido pelas Autoridades Fiscais do Reino Unido, para efeitos da convenção celebrada entre Portugal e o Reino Unido, de forma a evitar a dupla tributação do qual conste a data de permanência naquele país. Para melhor compreensão anexamos um exemplo do documento necessário. Com os melhores cumprimentos AT- Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira"  How can I get the document that they are asking for? I've been trying to get the document I need since May.
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 11:31:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

A certificate of residence can only be issued by HMRC, where there is a foreign source of income or gains, which is taxable in the UK. 

In all other situations, we issue a letter of confirmation of residence, in case you require proof of residence for the overseas tax authority, due to a local law. 

This rule applies to all countries. 

If Portugal are changing their process agreed with HMRC, the two tax authorities will need enter into discussions to resolve the situation. 

You will need to send the letter of rejection to
HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS ,

So that we can pass it to our specilist team, who liaise with the Portuguese tax authorities on such matters  .

Thank you . 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 18:28:34 GMT by Andre Oliveira
Hi. Thank you. The Tax Services sent me a letter explaining why they don't accept a "Letter of confirmation of residence ". It's written in Portuguese. Do I have to translate it before sending it to "HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS" or can I send it in Portuguese? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 14:03:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Please send the letter to HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS, so that we can send it to the specialist team who deal with rejection of letters of confirmation of residence and certificates of residence.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 14:12:41 GMT by Andre Oliveira
Do I have to translate it though? Do you accept letters in Portuguese?
Posted Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:07:16 GMT by Andre Oliveira
Can I get a proper response, please? I'm running out of time to achieve what I want with the Portuguese services. Do I have to translate the document from Portuguese to English? Do you accept letters in Portuguese? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:42:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
There is no need to translate the letter from Portuguese to English.  
Please send it to
H M Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS.
Please send it with a covering letter that includes your national insurance number or 10 digit UTR number, so that it can be sent to the correct department.
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 11:05:10 GMT by Andre Oliveira
Thank you very much

You must be signed in to post in this forum.