Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 13:28:55 GMT by Chris
I have received a reply from HMRC regarding paying voluntary NICs. I am based in the EU and will doubtless stay here when it becomes time to take my UK state pension. There is a statement in the letter stating 'However, the amount you receive does not normally go up when the rates increase in the UK'. I have searched all over and I can find reference to pensions for residents in eg New Zealand having their UK pension not 'uprated' with inflation, but nothing about the voluntary NIC element being frozen. Can you please explain 1. what this statement means 2. how / if it applies to the extra years purchased 3. the year it is frozen eg year purchased, or year the pension starts being paid 4 'not 'normally' as that implies there are situations in which it will be paid without restriction. Thank you
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 13:33:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Unfortunately, without looking at your personal records and viewing the letter that you have received, we are unable to answer your queries. Please contact our National Insurance team for advice.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Further information on voluntary National Insurance contribution rates can be found here:

Voluntary National Insurance

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2024 14:28:11 GMT by classwho
Hi Chris, Just noticed your question from a few months ago. Did you get a satisfactory answer? Looking at the following page it would suggest that the pension will increase if you live in the EU. https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/rates-of-state-pension

You must be signed in to post in this forum.