Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 11:06:54 GMT by Pkr
Hello. I wonder if someone can help me with this question. My wife is a French national but a UK resident. Her mother passed away in October 2017 in France. The house her mother lived in was shared with her father. Upon her mother's death, her mother's share of the house (i.e. 50% ownership) was divided equally amongst the surviving beneficiaries, which were her father, her sister and herself so each received a third of her mother's ownership (i.e. 50% / 3 = 16.67% each). The paperwork for that was finalised in April 2018. When it was finalised, the French authorities deemed that no taxes was due on the inheritance of the share of the property (valued at the time at around 32,000 Euros which is approximately £28,150 ish at the time). It's just on paper that this ownership is shown on, but no actual money was received. The property has not been sold, as her father still lives in that same house today. The question is, does my wife have to inform HMRC of this? Is there any taxes due even though she receives only part ownership on paper? From this HMRC link it seems she does not have to pay anything as it is well below the inheritance threshold, but she wants to have this clarified and confirmed: https://www.gov.uk/tax-property-money-shares-you-inherit Many thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:54:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

No. Your wife does not need to inform HMRC of anthing at this time. There is no tax liability resulting from your wife inheriting a share of the property. In the future, when your father in law passes away, you wife will inherit a further share of the property. From a UK tax perspective, your wife would only need to declare the disposal of the property and any gain arising from the disposal, when she disposes of her share of the property.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 13:50:20 GMT by Pkr
Hi again. Related to this inheritance, my wife received a share of cash that was from the split proceeds of a land sale. This split proceed should have gone to her mother, but as her mother had already died before the sale was completed then this money was transferred to her father and her sister instead. My wife received 933.50 Euros on 15-September-2022 (her sister received the same amount and her father received 800 Euros). There was no tax due on this sum in France. The question is does my wife need to declare this amount anywhere in her Self Assessment returns for 2022-2023? She has recently completed her Self Assessment for 2022-2023 tax year and does not recall seeing this information being requested, so she just wants to make sure it is not required. Many thanks in advance.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:02:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
As this was the share of her inheritance then no, this income doesnt get declared. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.