Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 13:35:25 GMT by
Hi, I am writing to inquire about the correct self-assessment registration form I should use based on my current tax situation. Summary of My Situation: (1) I immigrated to the UK via the Hong Kong BN(O) route and arrived in the UK on June 26, 2022. (2) I have been living in the UK since my arrival. (3) I own a Hong Kong limited company and work as an IT consultant for my clients in Hong Kong. (4) All the expenses, costs, and revenue of my Hong Kong limited company are filed with and taxes are cleared in the Inland Revenue Department in Hong Kong. (5) I receive only a monthly salary under my employment contract with the Hong Kong Limited Company, and I do not receive director's fees or other benefits. I have registered for self-assessment with HMRC. Based on my income source being a salary from my Hong Kong limited company and not self-employment, I would like to clarify which self-assessment registration form I should use: "Registering for self-assessment for any reason other than self-employment" or another applicable form. If the above form is correct, which below items should I selected in the form? " I'm getting taxable foreign income of £300 or more " (details reply with tax return SA106) or " I've untaxed income which cannot be coded in PAYE" listed in the form (details reply with tax return SA102) Your guidance on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Additionally, if there are any specific considerations I should be aware of regarding my tax obligations in the UK, given my situation, please provide that information.
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 09:47:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

A Self Assessment Tax Return will be required every year from 6 April 2022 onwards. Your limited company will continue to be taxed in Hong Kong and should not appear on your tax return, but your salary will be taxable in the UK, via a Self Assessment Tax Return. You would declare the overseas employment income and tax deducted on SA102 and SA106.  You can claim a foreitgn tax credit for tax paid overseas on you employment income.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.