Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:28:07 GMT by Richard Gardner
Hello, I am about to receive a modest pension from previous employment. It comprises a £35k tax free lump sum and a £12k per annum taxable payment. I intend to pay the £35k into savings and use the £12k taxable as additional income. Am I allowed to increase my existing pension contributions paid to my current employers scheme from gross salary without falling foul of pension recycling rules, or would such increase be viewed as using part of the £12k taxable as a recycled contributions? Thanks for any clarification you can offer.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:25:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi

As there are a number of conditions that need to be met to see if this is classed as recycling please refer to the guidance here:

PTM133810 - Unauthorised payments: Deemed or specific situations that are unauthorised payments: recycling of pension commencement lump sums: overview

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:38:43 GMT by Richard Gardner
Thank you. So, I will be depositing the lump sum into a savings account for about a year until the very low interest fixed rate term on my mortgage comes to an end and then using it, and a small inheritance to pay off my mortgage. Given all guidance published discusses recycling of a lump sum, can I assume that increasing contributions into my workplace pension, taken from gross salary, while the lump sum is earmarked for paying off my mortgage, is not considered recycling.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 14:22:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on future events as legislation may change.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.