Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2024 13:42:33 GMT by Jaroslaw Niewczas
Hi, I have been made redundant from work and Arpil was my last month in employement. Along with my last April's salary, I have received my redundancy money, it is PILON, banked holidays payment, final salary etc. Now, I paid 38% tax for April's income, which is the first month of 2024/25 tax year, as I suppose HMRC thought that this will be my earnings every month this year. I also start new job in May. I have updated my estimated earnings on HMRC website about two weeks ago to avoid this situation, it did not change anyting. According to wage calculator I have paid income tax and NI for a whole 24/25 year already and just in one month, April. Now I should be paying nothing or maybe £50-100 tax and £10-20 NI every month for the rest of they year, it is next 11 months. My earning estimates included overtime that I am not sure that I am going to work anyway, but I wanted to give higher estimate just in case. What can I do about it? Will I have to wait till end of this tax year to receive refund from HMRC or I won't pay tax at all for rest of the year? Thank you, Griellwe
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 12:41:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Excess tax will be refunded through the course of the year if you continue in employment. If you do not intend to work this year, you can submit a claim for a refund here:

Claim back Income Tax when you've stopped working (P50)

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.