Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 07 Jan 2024 22:39:35 GMT by
I have a question regarding tax reporting as an individual residing and working in the UK on a BNO visa. My employer in the UK assists me in handling my tax return and deducting taxes from my salary each month. However, I am unsure about the tax implications related to dividends from shares held in an overseas account. Specifically, I would like to know: - Am I required to report dividends from shares in my overseas account while living and working in the UK on a BNO visa? - If reporting is necessary, what is the threshold amount for dividends that I need to report? - How should I include these dividends in my tax return, and are there specific forms or procedures I need to follow? - When is the deadline for submitting this additional tax information, considering I arrived in the UK in 3rd March 2023 and commenced my current job at the end of July? - does the income tax on saving interest start counting since the landing day in the UK? - any direct contact on phone for tax return urgent matters Thank you in advance for your assistance and guidance on this matter.
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:01:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Yes, as you are resident and not domiciled in the UK, you are required to declare your worldwide income and capital gains.  

As you are in receipt of foreign dividends, you are required to declare through a Self Assessment tax return, regardless of the amount of dividend income. If you have to pay foreign tax on the dividends, you claim a foreign tax credit for a percentage of the foreign tax paid. The percentage varies from country to country, dpending on the tax treaty with that country.

Tax treaties

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.