Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 13:33:48 GMT by
I owe 2638 tax that will come out of 24/25 PAYE tax code, I am trying to calculate what my tax code might be for next financial year so I have an idea of my incomings and outgoings. My salary will be £44000 Is there a way to do this with the above information?
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:55:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

The 2024/25 tax rates are not yet issued. You could use the current 2023/24 rates for a guide.

Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 06:27:13 GMT by
Maybe I did not explain it very well but your response did not answer my question I understand the tax brackets. The information I am looking for is to help me guesstimate the tax code for next year using the information I know now. How does your tax code change when you make tax payments from previous years. I.e. I owe £2638 in tax that HMRC will take from me via PAYE, and I start with the standard personal tax allowance of £12500 so if I did not owe any tax I would guess my tax code would be S1250L to reflect I get all my personal allowance. How does the calculation work to modify the tax code to get the tax owed paid? My current Tax code isS1183L that is because I owe £309 from a previous tax year. They deducted £737 from my personal allowance to make sure I repaid the £309, how do we do the calculation to get the new tax code. If I knew I could guesstimate what my tax code would be for next year and do rough estimates of my monthly pay.
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 18:08:19 GMT by
Hi, not HMRC Admin (was once mistaken for one so I like being clear) but you're over complicating it. You don't require a code to work it out and nor can hmrc advise on a tax code until the respective governments decide what the personal allowance will be, what the rate bands will be, what the tax rates will be...because all of those can affect your code. 2638 divided by how often you are paid (monthly? So 12?) = 219.83 (may vary by up to 42p but shouldn't vary by more) per month.
Posted Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:23:09 GMT by
Thanks for the reply. I was guessing that but as my example of the current tax year that doesn't work they took more off my personal allowance in my tax code then what I owed. My current Tax code isS1183L that is because I owe £309 from a previous tax year. They deducted £737 from my personal allowance to make sure I repaid the £309, how do we do the calculation to get the new tax code. If I knew I could guesstimate what my tax code would be for next year and do rough estimates of my monthly pay.
Posted Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:32:25 GMT by
Thank you for your reply. As per my example how do they calculate how much they reduce your personal allowance by to get owed tax back. They must have a calculation, I just cant find it anywhere, it doesn't look as simple as what you suggested because in this year that is not how it has worked out. They have taken a large deduction by 2.3times then the tax I owed to make sure I pay it back. If they do that to my tax owed of 2638 it means they will deduct from my personal allowance of 6067. If i take my personal allowance it be standard as 12570 as it currently is and I owe 2638 how do they adjust that to make sure i pay it back via PAYE it seems like a simple question to me but no one has an answer. Even a hypothetical guesstimate is what I am after I don't want my precise tax code just a reasonable guess of how I can work it out.
Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:31:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Dyognes7256,
If we are collecting £309 in your current code, we make an adjustment in your tax code to collect this based on the tax band.
In this case you will be a higher rate taxpayer in Scotland so the tax restriction will be calculated at 42%.
The restriction is 737 which we will collect tax on at 42% so we collect £309.
If you think your tax code is incorrect you can contact HMRC so we can review this for you.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:30:56 GMT by
Did you find the calculation to this, i have the same problem trying to work out what my tax code will be i owe £1225 and earn £51400 per year. I've owed money previously and and the number taken from my personal allowance seems completely random there must be some calculation ?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.