Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2024 11:57:01 GMT by Indi Kestrel
Hello, I have just finished a contract with a school (ie end of Aug) and am now entering a zero hours contract for supply with the school, whilst also having registered with a teaching agency. I may also work for a local cafe to make ends meet until a contract comes up. For the HMRC forms for the school and agency, do I tick box a, b or c?? Ie I have multiple job options, but no work right now. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 11:05:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Indi,
If you do not yet have any P45, for now you should tick Option B for the employment you think maybe the main employment, and option C for any subsequent employments, the standard personal allowance this tax year is 12570 , this is shown on your payslip under the tax code 1257L, what this means is that every tax month - Apr 24-Mar 25 you can earn upto £1047.50 before any tax will be deducted. And any unused amount is carried forward to the follwing month.
So if you earned say 547.50 in Apr 24 then you will have 500 spare tax free earning that will be rolled over to May 24 pay, so that month you will then be able to earn £1547.50 before any tax will be deducted, this  carries on like this for the full tax year.
If you have 2 employments usually the main employer has the tax code 1257L and your second operates BR (20% tax) on all earnings there.
You can, if you know what you income will be at both sources and once they have started, ask HMRC to split your allowances between both sources. Income Tax: general enquiries.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.