Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:28:33 GMT by
Hi there, I´ve started a fundraiser to benefit charities registered abroad. I am exchanging an online ´e-book´ in exchange for donations to the charities. I would consider this income to be equivalent to having a craft or bake sale, i.e. providing something nominal in exchange for a donation. The fundraiser is being hosted on an online sales platform, and payments are received into a PayPal Business account, crated specifically for the purpose of this fundraiser. The funds are then transferred directly from the PayPal account, into the accounts of the charities. I00% of the profits are donated - so everything that the donors donate, minus the PayPal transaction fee, that PayPal keeps. The PayPal account is registered under my name, though the money does not touch my personal bank account. I personally am not making any profit. I do not receive any interest from the funds. Do I need to declare the amount received into the PayPal account on a self-assessment tax return; although I make zero profit or income from this?
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 09:13:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Fundraising events: exemption for charities and other qualifying bodies

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.