Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 24 Sep 2023 15:20:36 GMT by Test
Hello! Originally I wanted to transfer my wife's wedding allowance to me. But I made a mistake in applying for wedding allowance transfer to her online on my gateway. Question one I am a taxpayer and my wife is a non-taxpayer. Two months ago, I made a mistake in applying to transfer my marriage allowance to my wife. Can I cancel the wedding allowance directly to my wife on my gateway online? Question 2 At the same time in the tax year 22-23, I also mistakenly transferred my wedding allowance to my wife. As a result, my tax exemption amount is reduced (I suddenly have to lose the tax exemption amount of £13,820 - £11,310 = £2,510). Can I get back the tax I overpaid? Thanks!
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 09:58:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If the marriage allowance was claimed the wrong way round your wife will need to contact HMRC to reject the claim and then the claim can be made the right way round. Once claimed correctly any refund due can be processed.  

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.