Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 20:22:56 GMT by
Hello, I am attempting to do my self assessment and I am confused about what to calculate. According to the survey I submitted it claims I have to pay zero tax which I don't believe is correct. My first job is as an employee which I pay tax, national insurance and a pension in. My second job I work for a company as a self contractor. Last year for my assessment I did pay some tax, though I am not wondering if I did this incorrectly too as I applied both my income from my first job, followed by second. On the self assessment calculator I have earned over £1000 from my second job. However, when using the 'Budget for your Self Assessment tax bill if you're self-employed' page it tells me I have to pay zero tax as my monthly from my second job is under £1000. Do I need to include my first job into this too? Just a bit confused on what to do as I'd rather not get in trouble for a misunderstanding. Kind regards, Christopher.
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:47:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

Yes, you need to include all your taxable income so that the correct level of income is known.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.